Who should I inform when you are moving home?


When you are moving house there are lots of jobs both large and small that you need to carry out. These are both in the build up to the move and after you are settled in your new home. One thing that you will want to do, in the weeks leading up to the move, is inform a number of organisations and businesses that you are changing your address.

Here is a list of people that you will want to get in touch with to leave details of your new address…

TV Licensing

Your TV License won’t simply follow you to your new address. You will need to head to www.tvlicensing.co.uk, or call 0844 800 6722, and inform them of your new address. If you fail to do this then you could end up being unlicensed in your new home, which will leave you at risk of being fined. Fines can be as high as £1,000, so make sure you are covered.

HM Revenue and Customs

You will also need to inform the HMRC of your new address for tax purposes. This is the case even if you are paying your tax through PAYE and have already informed your employer or pension provider. If you use the HMRC email service you can send one notification, and don’t have to get in touch with separate offices. For more information on changing your address with HMRC, click here.

Bank, building society and pension provider

It is important to get in touch with these organisations so that they are able to contact you if any issues arise that could affect the service they are providing. By informing them of your new address, you will also be able to ensure that you continue to receive correspondence from these organisations.


You should also tell your employer that you are moving house and inform them of your new address. This means that they can update their emergency contact information and know where to send any relevant documents, like payslips or p60 forms.


When you move house you are legally obliged to inform the DVLA of your new address. As well as informing them of the address change, you will also then be required to renew your driving license and your vehicle registration documents.

Other organisations to speak to

As well as all of the above, you should also look to contact the following organisations to inform them of your new address:

  • Magazines you subscribe to
  • The schools your children attend
  • Any charities you donate to
  • Credit card and store card companies

Don’t panic if you haven’t got in touch with everyone on this list. So long as you set up a Royal Mail Redirection Service, you will be able to receive any mail at your new address. This means that if you do forget to inform an organisation about your move, you will still be able to receive any correspondence from them. For more information on things to sort out before you move, take a look at this moving house checklist from Alliance Removals.

Author’s Bio: Alex Murray has been working with Alliance Removals since the start of 2013 helping UK homeowners make moving house as smooth as possible.

About the Author